Friday, October 08, 2004

Countdown: 40 days to go...

40 days to go. So far I've had my vaccinations (Hep A & B, tetanus, diphtheria and typhoid), got most of my written prescriptions for anti-malarials and antibiotics (hope I don't need the latter). I'm taking the large suitcase which will for the majority of my trip will be staying in hotel storage as I run around SE Asia.

Here's the itinerary for my trip in theory (all of this is subject to change based on plane, train, and automobile schedules):

November 17th - 18th: Big Bird to Bangkok via Japan (I've already done this flight once and its miserable. A hint to the airlines, get better damn movies or give out sleeping pills. This will just benefit us all)

November 19th - 20th: Bangkok, Oriental city. One night makes a hard man humble, two nights makes you a babbling idiot. Good luck.

November 21st: The journey to Koh Samui. I leave on an overnight train to Surat Thani and then eventually the island of Koh Samui.

November 22nd - 26th: Beach, beer, sun. Since February 23rd, 2004, I've taken off three days and only had two other days off due to federal holidays in the U.S. 40 days to go, I'm exhausted physically and mentally. Will the beach be the appropriate "mental floss" (Thanks Jimmy Buffet for that song title) that I need?

November 26th: Back to Bangkok on the train.

November 27th -28th: Back in Bangkok. Probably the weekend to buy souvenirs (get on my good side now).

November 29th - December 2nd: Siem Reap, Cambodia and Angkor Wat. On my listing of places I want to see. 4 days and a lot of temples to see and photograph; silly me, I thought that I was on vacation.

December 2nd - December 11th: Bangkok again. Items undone from the last trip: China town, the giant swing, muay Thai (Thai kick boxing), the golden mount, and the weekend market again.

December 12th: You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. Going back home (maybe).


Not too full a schedule really. I'm excited and apprehensive as I always am at this time. I have a few minor details to firm up on the trip, but the hard parts have been planned and looked over so many times that I've started to get the tunnel vision.

I've started to get to the point where I just want to get this trip over and get on to the next. I'm not really looking for anything in my travels, but a good time and good stories to recount to my friends over cocktails. The world really isn't as big as it used to be is it? Most of the Western world takes for granted that we can within reason, leave for the exotic places in the world. For some they find the exotic place really close for me its anywhere else.