Monday, January 31, 2005

Disbelief

Monday January 31st, 2005 11:25AM Chicago, IL

Well, here it is the last day of January. Here in Chicago, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as winter is concerned. I only spend 16 more days in Chicago until I go back to Bangkok and 90 degree temperatures and get back with one day left in the month and then its March.

The weather still stinks and its cold, but there's the NCAA Basketball tournament and St. Patricks Day (which should be the first day of the NCAA tourney).

I've been thinking about what I want to do this time in Thailand and have a few ideas. Since my first trip last year, I've become fascinated with early Khmer architecture and saw the ultimate at Angkor Wat.

Here's where I'm thinking about going:

Lopburi - Has a few Khmer brick ruins and monkeys (just a note, I had seen monkeys walking around wild in Cambodia and avioded them like the plague; I'll do the same here, but will try to get a couple shots of them). Lopburi is only 154 KM (roughly 92 miles for us Westerners) from Bangkok, so it would make a nice day trip (planes, trains, and automobiles part 2)

Kanchanaburi - Kanchanaburi is another day trip that I'm considering making. I think I'll probably go the first weekend I get to Thailand. Its 130 KM (78 miles for us Westerners) so I can get there pretty quickly via train or bus. Kanchanaburi sits along the river Khwae (pronounced "Kwai"), yes that river Khwae. Although from my reading, its not too impressive, I plan to see the bridge on the river (which was bombed several times during WWII and was subsequently rebuilt after the war) and then out in the country to see some of the waterfalls in the area.

I'll post a few photos later today when I get home. Coming up in 16 days Live From Thailand.