Monday, August 21, 2006

Angkor Wat - Siem Reap, Cambodia

Built in the early 12th century as a Hindu and later (14th to 15th century) a Buddhist temple, Angkor Wat is the largest religious structure in the world. Angkor was abandoned in the early 15th century and lost to the Cambodian jungle until its discovery by French botanist Henri Mouhot in 1860.

When I went in November of 2004, this is what I wrote about seeing the sunset at Angkor Wat:

The last temple of the day for me was Angkor Wat itself for the sunset. I went into the temple with the sole purpose of seeing the sunset. Two problems: One, after walking up and down countless steps, my body just ached. Two, in order to get the best view, you have to climb a series of steps that are at a 70 degree angle (this is to make worshipers bow as they climb, or fall, I'm still not sure). No problem on number two? Yes, big problem, I'm not so fond of heights. After 20 minutes of getting my hackles up to do this and walking around the numerous stair cases, I made my move and climbed up as fast as I could without looking down. Got to the top and wondered what I was going to do to get down. I saw a set of stairs that had a metal railing installed and a line of about 40 people waiting once I got my photos from the top, so the choice was obvious to me. Funny thing that you wouldn't even be allowed to climb something like this in the states. I was joking with a couple other Americans that were in front of me in line about that; as well as the sphincter tightening that occurred just when you realized that you had to still get down the stairs. I made it down no worse for wear, but won't be going up that today as I explore the Angkor bas reliefs.

I really hope to get back to Angkor Wat and Cambodia in the near future and see how it has changed in two years. I'm sure that there isn't a McDonalds there right now, but it probably isn't too far off.








Like I wrote yesterday, I'm going to try and make the effort to post more often, but with smaller amounts of photos. I have a few hundred just from Cambodia, so I should have enough to get me through a few posts until I go back to Thailand in Novemeber.