Monday, December 18, 2006

An Evening Walk in Mae Sot, Thailand

The nice thing about Northern Thailand in the cool season is that the temperatures do get cooler in the evenings and are warm during the day. I had a different opinion of Mae Sot in April when I first came to meet my girlfriend's parents. In the evenings, we would take a walk around the village and talk. Didn't typically matter which direction we went in, but this evening we walked out toward one of the main roads because I saw a photo that I needed to get as the sun was going down.




It's much greener than in April because the rainy season has only ended about 5-6 weeks ago and this is just the start of the dry season. In Bangkok, we did see rain, but the showers both times only lasted about 20 to 30 minutes each time. I know that this area does get a lot of rainfall during the rainy season from May to October.


This is a cleared ricefield. One thing that I try to impress my girlfriend with is my rudimentary Thai language skills. The name for a ricefield in Thai is 'naa', so as we were walking by I ask her in Thai "this is a rice field, right?" and received a suprised "yes" in Thai from her. I really need to start studying Thai a lot more in my spare time.




This is a front wheeled drive cart that is used by people in the area. There are several around and I always kid that I'm going to buy one and use it when I'm in Mae Sot. I rode in the back of one of these this evening and then got another photo of this one.


Another rice field. This one was being flooded.



A papaya tree.


This was the photo that I wanted.


and this one also. I really liked the sky that was offset by the sun going down and how green everything was at this time of the year.


This photo was taken from the other side of the road. The sun has slipped behind the mountains and its going to get dark now pretty fast. I'm also about to become a meal for the local mosquitos for the first time in three days in Mae Sot.


Some cattle at a farm on our way back. I've also joked about becoming a farmer when we finally decide to move back to Thailand. I already know, I don't think I'd be a very good one.



This is the shop at the front the home of my girlfriend's parents.


in the metal container is the broth for noodle soup. It's one of my favorites and my girlfriend makes some of the best. The broth is combined with vegtables, rice noodles, and pieces of pork. Its garnished with crushed peanuts and cilantro also. I think I might know what I'm having for lunch today.


Some of the goods that are offered for sale.


These little red peppers are some of the hottest you will ever try. I love them, but sometimes eating them really sets my mouth on fire. I guess I don't learn so easily.


So on tap next will be photos from my trip to Pattaya, Thailand. It's the closest beach to Bangkok at a 1 1/2 hour drive away and we went here for a day prior to going to Mae Sot. I think I'll post the video first and then the photos a day later.