Friday, December 10, 2004

How does one get a cold in 80 degree temps?

Well, I stayed out entirely too late and this cold has not gotten any better. I hate being sick. I wanted to go to Wat Po and Wat Arun today and get a few photos. Not going to happen this time.

After a quick trip to the convenience store to get some green tea (the stuff rocks) and a newspaper it was time to go back to bed. I later went to Subway (just a break from the Thai food) and then to the bar to see who was there. Oy and Fern were working and I stayed just long enough to have my sandwich and nam plao (bottled water, non-carbonated). Told Oy that I'd stop back later and see if she, Kan and their third friend Mam would want to just hang out at the hotel and play cards. We had said we were going to do that and save a bit of money for a night. I hope that they don't know how to play poker.

I met up with the girls around 8:30PM and we went to the hotel after a convenience store run. Since I invited, I'm the one who's paying. I don't mind though, I feel like garbage, don't want to drink and would really like the company for a couple hours.

We played blackjack (not for money, I tough them the game a week ago, but neglected to add the betting aspect). Everyone had a good time with that, with the occasional break to watch whatever movie was playing and me using all of the toilet paper to blow my nose. Kan had ordered Som Tam which is a papaya salad. Here's the recipe:

1 medium dark green papaya/pawpaw
4 garlic cloves (kratiem)
6 green Thai chilies (prik khee noo)
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup chopped green beans, in 1-in (2.5-cm) pieces
2 tablespoons anchovy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sauce
1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) lime juice or tamarind juice (ma-kaam piag)

I tried it a couple times, its hot as hell and the version Kan had contained some type of crab. Dead, very dead crab, but I don't think it was cooked. Kan offered me some, but I declined. I lucked out because an hour later, she got sick from it.

With Kan out of commission, the three of us played rummy (not sure of the Thai name, but once the rules were explained, I knew exactly how to play and actually held my own going on a streak of four or five wins - Whoo Hoo for me).

Around midnight, it was time to call it an evening. We made plans to hit the weekend market in the morning (early) and to meet up at 10:30AM. I knew everyone but Kan should be there (she tends to sleep in a lot), and I needed to finish packing. Till tomorrow - Last Day: Where the hell did the time go?