Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Learning Thai

Wednesday, March 9th, 2005 Chicago, IL

Since my first trip to Thailand in 2004, I've been interested in learning the Thai language. I always feel that if you can communicate in someone's native language, it makes it easier to be understood and to get around during your travels.

I started probably the way most people do with languages when they travel by memorizing as much of the travel related phrases in the guidebook. Most of the phrases do help with very general situations like "How much is this?" "Help", "Where is...?"

It just doesn't help in everyday situations.

About a year ago, I purchased a copy of Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. It really has provided a good start, but without being able to practice everyday and the other b.s. that happens in life away from Thailand, I really didn't get past Chapter 3 in the book. I did however put as much effort as I could into learning the consonants and vowels of the alphabet. My thinking was that if I could at least identify the characters, I could sound out the word even if I didn't know what the word actually meant.

On my last trip out, I purchased the Thai for Beginners computer software. I'm thoroughly impressed with the software as it provides repetition and the ability to go over phrases endlessly until its understood. I've been pretty good on the first three chapters, but decided to try another chapter, chapter 6. Wow, I could phonetically pronounce the words, but had no clue what the word's meaning was.

If I really want to make this move, I better start studying a lot more.

Just bought a guidebook for Vietnam. I'm planning on taking a bit of an extended trip to Southeast Asia at the end of the year if the job search turns up nothing. I figure that if I have enough time, I'd like to spend at least a week plus there and then tour Northern Thailand.

Lagaan (good bye)