Monday, March 14, 2005

Not a good day

Monday March 14th,2005

I promise that later in the week I'll be back to something more positive, but today I need to focus on a bit of bad news that I received. My friend Trevor was pronounced dead last night. He had gone in for a gastric bypass operation, but due to complications, he was never able to fully recover. Trevor was a fighter and it came as a shock to me that he didn't make it.

Trevor was a guy who certainly lived life to its fullest, so I'm sure that he would want us to celebrate his life, but we will all grieve at his passing.

Since this blog is primarily about my travels, I will recount a travel story about a trip I took with Trevor. A few years ago I had agreed to go with Trev on a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. There were four of us on the trip and we drove leaving around 10:30 or 11:00 PM on a Thursday night. The drive down took roughly 19 or so hours and we got to New Orleans around 4:00 PM. We had pretty fun times in the bars checking out the sites and sounds of the Mardi Gras weekend. The bar we went to Trev was a regular and all the staff just loved him (I think that this was the case everywhere he went). The only issue that arose during the trip was Trev's infamous snoring. Anyone that had ever shared a room with Trev knew that he was a loud snorer. Very loud. Driving back was hell as I was exhausted and the drive really takes a toll (Trev was in the back snoring and even that couldn't keep me awake).

I'll remember that trip too from a trip to Cafe du Monde. Cafe du Monde is famous for chicory coffee and benginets, one of the photos that I have from the trip (At least one of the photos that I could publish), is Trev wearing one of those paper hats and holding a cup of coffee. Trev was a big guy, so the cup of coffee looks like a thimble and the paper hat just sat on the top of his head. Just a silly image, but was great for a laugh.

It had been a while since I had seen Trev. I really wasn't going to the same bars where we all used to hang out, but remember sitting and laughing with him the last time that I saw him. I'm going to miss that. Rest in peace my friend, you will truly be missed.