Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Cu Chi Tunnels

40 Km northwest of Saigon (HCMC) are the Cu Chi tunnels. The tunnels were used by the Viet Cong to hide supplies, hide from the Americans, and contained hospitals and living quarters.

Here's an entrance to the tunnelsPosted by Picasa


For some reason, a size 12 1/2 shoe is about the same size as the entrance. I don't think I'll fitPosted by Picasa


Another tunnel entrancePosted by Picasa


There was a section that was widened to fit the larger Western body size. I decided to take a pass on going in the tunnels. It was hot as hell, my eye was really bothering me, and I wasn't about to squeeze into a hole in the ground.Posted by Picasa


This is a cut away section of the tunnels. Posted by Picasa


The Viet Cong took unexploded US ordnance and used it for various booby traps. Posted by Picasa


A close up of the VC making booby traps in the tunnels. Posted by Picasa


Imagine that this is covered with more leaves. Looks like the jungle floor right? Posted by Picasa


Wrong! Posted by Picasa


This would just ruin your day. I can't imagine getting an arm or a leg caught in this. I forgot to ask whether this was put in the tunnels or in the jungle, but this would just suck.Posted by Picasa


Same with this one. Posted by Picasa


Or this one too. Posted by Picasa


More examples of booby traps. Posted by Picasa


Ouch, ouch, ouch. Posted by Picasa