Friday, January 06, 2006

Updates

I've just put up the second day in HCMC below. I've got photos and will be updating my posts when I get the time. The weekend is full of Redskin playoff football and laundry for me (lots of laundry).

I just picked up a new guidebook, Laos. I've wanted to go to Laos and northern Thailand for a while. There only two Southeast Asian countries that I haven't visited are Lao and Myanmar (Burma).

Myanmar is supposed to be very beautiful, but has a very restrictive and oppressive military government.

I'm on the fence about it, but most travel decisions that I have now are based on avoiding the McDonaldization of the world. There are fewer places on the planet where you won't find the McDonald's and designer coffe houses of the world. I'm not saying that these companies don't have their place in the world, I just want to see the world before they get there and that's pretty tough to do.