Friday, March 03, 2006

Cambodia - The Bayon, Part 1

As I said yesterday, I wanted to post some of the photos I took in Cambodia. These are from my first day. I have a link to the description of the first day and the temples I visited. The photos below are of the detail on the gate of city of Angkor Thom and the Bayon. I've got a lot of photos from Cambodia to post, so here goes:


This is on the side of the gate to Angkor Thom. Posted by Picasa


A closeup of the face at the top of the gate. Posted by Picasa


This is just past the gate entrance; a three headed elephant. Its a little tough to pick it out, but the elephant head is stained black. Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


This is the main walkway to the Bayon. If you open the photo up, you can see the faces on the spires.Posted by Picasa


The left side of the Bayon.Posted by Picasa


A woman seated next to a reclining Buddha statue. Posted by Picasa


A closeup of one of the faces.Posted by Picasa


This is a bas-releif on one of the outer walls of the Bayon. There are bas-releif carvings all over all the Angkor Temples with the most famous being on the walls of Angkor Wat.Posted by Picasa


Another bas-relief.Posted by Picasa


This is a bas-relief of Aspara dancers on a pillar.Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


With most of the photos, its probably better to open it in another window and then expand the photo in the window to see the detail. The 5.6 megapixel camera really does give some pretty decent detail. One of these days, I'm going to see what the maximum photo size I can print with a couple of the photos I'll post next time and you'll understand why I want them printed.