Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Reunification Palace - Part 3

This is the final installment of my photos of the Reunification Palace. I do have another group of photos that I took in the basement of the building that were of communications rooms, map rooms, war rooms, and a presidential bedroom. Honestly, they are pretty boring unless you enjoy looking at severely dated office equipment. If you do like looking at office equipment from the 60's and 70's, you probably need help.

I'm going to get back to posting photos from Cambodia. I liked the temples and the people of Cambodia much, much more than Vietnam. Maybe I'm a bit prejudiced since I didn't have an eye infection when I was in Cambodia or lose $12.00 getting hustled in pool. I did realize that I have a few hundred photos from Cambodia that I've never published, so I'll start putting them back on.

I'm going back to Thailand in April, the day after Cubs Opening Day. I'm kind of glad that I am leaving that Saturday. When the Cubs open the season at home on the weekend its crazy in the neighborhood. This year, they open against the Cardinals. Their fans travel very well and they are all over the place.

I guess I need to get hotel reservations soon. I've been putting it off just out of pure laziness. I'm planning for this next trip to visit Tak province in Northern Thailand by the Thai / Myanmar border. Its supposed to be a more mountainous (wow, for some reason that word didn't look right) area. I'm planning on spending Songkran (Thai New Year) there before finally going to Chaing Mai. Yes, I've talked about going to Chaing Mai for a while and come hell or high water (very possible for Chaing Mai in the rainy season), I'm going.

Enjoy the photos:


This is the top of the Reunification Palace. The woman in the foreground is wearing the traditional Ao Dai. Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


The grounds in the front were beign set up for a concert. Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


The red circles are where NVA pilots dropped bombs during the war. Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


This is the flag of the Republic of South Vietnam.Posted by Picasa


The flag of the North Vietnamese and a AK-47 of the unit that captured the South Vietnamese flag and raised this one in its place.Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa