Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mae Sot and Songkran

Ok, I'm back in Bangkok right now. Just got back from Chaing Mai and wanted to give a couple quick notes. I'll flesh it out when I have time, but I want to get something to eat and its an election day tomorrow, so I'll have more time as a lot of places are closed.

The drive up to Mae Sot was about six or so hours from Bangkok to the North. The ride was great as we go into the mountainous terrain. The mountains reminded me somewhat of those in the Smokey mountains in Tessessee.

I met up with Julai and met her mother and one of her brothers. I made a great impression smacking my head on one of the roof beams of the garrage. It was at least a good ice breaker.

Her parents and one brother run a store with fruits, vegetables, drinks, and various other sundries. They get up real early (4:30 AM) to go to the main market for the day. One of the days, I went with to the market and helped a little bit (carrying stuff I guess is helping).

On that first night, we walked around her village. Not really an accurate description, because the homes were very close to one another. Being the only foreigner was pretty neat as I met a lot of Julai's friends and was always met with a lot of curiosity. No, suprise, no both. It was pretty fun though seeing wide eyed looks from kids who were at first terrified and then a day later asking when I was going to be there.

I met Julai's other brother a day later and we went to a couple of the local waterfalls. This was on one of the days of Songkran, the Thai New Year. It was hot, the waterfalls were absolutely packed with people trying to cool down from the heat.

It was at this time, day 2 that I had to deal with the reality of being the only foreigner. There are western toilets in the hotels, but other than that, you're using a squat toilet. I'm only going to say that I'm not a fan and am a bit terrified still of using them.

I'm off to get some western food right now. I really want a cheeseburger. More to follow, especially the trip to Chaing Mai.