Saturday, November 19, 2005

Back Again

Saturday, November 19th 2005 - Bangkok, Thailand 19:35

Its said that you can't go back home again. I think that the same applies to Thailand. This is my 4th trip here and I'm no longer disillusioned by the hustle and bustle of this fascinating SE Asian city. Bangkok is a city that has grown up too fast with far too many trappings of the Western world.

Are the people as nice and accomodating? Yes and no. No in that I made a decent deal to get to the hotel on my first night. My bargaining skills are once again in top form and only 10 minutes after clearing customs. My lacking Thai language skills have left me the inability to tactfully let the taxi driver know that I saw him scam me for 20 baht and take local streets instead of the toll road and being scammed out of another 25 for fradulent minibar charges (c'mon people, I may look dumb, but I know what was taken from the minibar). Yes in that my friends at the bar were more than happy to see me, The cell phone airways were abuzz of my arrival and I was happy to be able to see people that I genuinely call friends again.


The thing that I now realize that wears one down is being looked at like a walking ATM machine. The common thought is that if you can afford foreign travel, you must be rich. Wrong!! I saved my ass off the past 9 months and gave up several trip opportunities to have the cash to make it here. Even with Thai speaking friends it takes its toll. A dollar here, fifty cents there, well you get the point.

Friday I checked into the Grand President service apartments. Smaller than a hotel room, but at least I have a fridge and a small, but nonfunctional kitchen. Yeah, I'm a little bitter. The bloom is off the rose. Vietnam airlines rt to Saigon $287. I'll be leaving Wednesday and searching for the 1st McDonalds in Ho Chi Minh City.

More to follow...