Saturday, February 19, 2005

So an elephant walks up while I'm eating...

Saturday February 19th, 2005 Bangkok, Thailand

Ok, this trip wasn't about doing a lot of touristy things. This was to find out a couple things for myself about Thailand. Can I live here? How would I adjust to the culture shock? Can I find a job? Where exactly is this thing going to go with Oh?

Well, today we got going later in the afternoon and decided to go to the movies. We met up with Kan at the bar and went to Ekamai (down Sukhumvit road) to see what movies were playing. Nothing really good here, so it was off in a taxi to MBK and their theater. I didn't see anything that interested me, but Oh saw that "Finding Neverland" was playing and wanted to see it. Who am I to argue? Not a bad movie (honestly, I fell asleep a couple times, still not completely adjusted to the time change I gues).

After, we went to get something to eat. Most of the Thai places that we went to eat at were outdoor with one or two exceptions. This place, (I know where it is, but can't remember the name), was outside and I was of course, the only Farang in distance. I guess the first trip I was a bit more self conscious about being the only Westerner around, but now I just accept it as no big deal. I only wish that I could understand a little more of the conversation.

Now to the elephant. As we were eating, I see a man sitting on an elephant crossing the street toward us. Now, I'm not scared of the elephant. I'm scared of being trampled by it though. One of the handlers tries to sell us a bunch of sugarcane for around 20 Baht for the elephant to eat. We all declined and just hoped that they would go on their way which eventually they did. About 10 minutes later here comes another elephant. Same sales pitch, I decline. We're all finishing up dinner and about to get the check and I see about three more elephants with their handlers crossing the street. Ok, time to go.

I guess the funny thing about it all was when we were walking out. The handler asks if we want to feed this elephant. Oh and I both decline and the handler turns the elephant's backside toward us. I recall saying "This is not the side that I need to see after eating." Luckily, we got by unscathed.

Coming up...time for a massage.