Sunday, November 28, 2004

Angkor: The Preview

Sunday November 28th, 2004 - 5:00 PM Bangkok

Nothing really to report from Bangkok. I went out with my friend Kan and we hit some of the bars in Soi Cowboy. It's one of the infamous nightlife areas in Bangkok made most famous during the Vietnam war by American servicemen. I found it pretty seedy, disgusting and highly overpriced. I think I was paying twice the cost of a beer there than I was at the bar I frequent. I think I was paying something close to $7 versus $2 or less.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather (yes, self induced) today and spent most of it reading and hoping not to feel like garbage. I figured I'd get out for a bit and then get ready to leave for Siem Reap, Cambodia. My flight leaves at 7:30 in the morning, so I'm keeping this evening very, very light.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up at 5:30, check out of the hotel, store my suitcase, and get to the airport and get ready for a full day of sightseeing and photo taking. Once I check into the guesthouse (The Red Piano), I'm heading directly for Angkor Wat. I figure I'll be able to see all of Angkor and then head to Angkor Thom and the Bayon Tuesday, with some of the smaller temples on Wednesday.

One of the key features of Angkor are bas reliefs. Here's an example of one called the Churning of the Sea of Milk:


It symbolizes the Hindu version of the creation of the world (or something like that; I'm no archeologist, but I've been accused of impersonating one)

That's all I have for today. I think I need to get some spicy Thai food and jumpstart my system. If I find web access in Cambodia I'll post, otherwise I'll update on Thursday night.