Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Koh Samui - too many Falang

Wed November 24th 3:30 PM - Koh Samui

Too many falang (foreigners) that's my war cry right now. I was looking for paradise and found a bunch of pampered Westerners that have traveled 8,000 miles to go to Starbucks and McDonalds. After a week in Thailand, I myself am now guilty of the offense of going to Burger King. Hey, it was a really good double cheeseburger and french fried (Excuse me while I have a Homer Simpson moment).

Ok, finished. Koh Samui is an island packed with too much Western influence. I found a bit of native culture yesterday when looking around. Found a string of food carts and decided to eat there. I'm hanging out with a friend of my friend that I met on my last trip. She agreed to come and hang out while my friend is back home visiting family and wasn't able to make it. We're having a good time, but can't wait to see her when I get back to Bangkok.

Aside from my little lapse, I've eaten only Thai food and pretty much something everyday. Some things I've taken only one bite of and others, you can hardly pull it away from me for fear that I might take a bite out of you. I really haven't hit many restaurants, save maybe two prefering to eat on the street. Hey, if the food wasn't safe, there wouldn't be a crowd around the vendor.

I'll have part two of the remaining trip here. The remaining trip was just a two hour ferry ride to the island followed by a white knucle minivan ride to the hotel. After the entire 17 hour trek, I decided to book a flight back to Bangkok which takes one hour. The only problem, not having a prebooked hotel. I think I finally found a room at the Westin, but it's $160+ a night. One night and I'm back at the Manhattan hotel. Thanks to Expedia (fingers crossed) for finding an open room.

Coming up- The Big Buddah, chok dee (luck) and why I am now miserable at pool.