Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Stress

7 days to go...

Have you ever had the following dream?

You wake up in a dream and realize that you're one hour late for a final exam. Remember the feeling of dread and horror that you had until you realized that it was just a dream? This is the feeling I have with a week to go.

I just want to get on the plane and get the hell out of here.

I'm doing the usual running around for last minute items, washing clothing, checking and rechecking reservations to the point where someone should take the mouse out of my hand (please do if you see me). The combination of stress, anxiousness, and nervousness at sometimes can be too much. My Thai is absolutely atrocious, I'm fairly convinced that I will get lost at some point and the funny thing is that I can't wait for the challenge.

What I'm most looking forward to:

1. Eating on the street with the locals - I'll probably still be amazed by the Thais that will ask if I like Thai food because for what I witnessed, Thais aren't too fond of Western food. After one trip to a fast food restaurant that features a clown as a pitchman, I don't actually blame them.

2. Visiting more temples and learning more about Buddhism - I've had a profoud interest in Buddhist teachings since I was in my teens and being able to see the religion practiced was a very humbling and eye opening experience.

3. Cambodia - Another opportunity to experience one of the other cultures and people of Southeast Asia. My only regret is I won't have the time to go into Laos or Vietnam.

Well, a week to go. Time to pack and get ready.

Next episode - November 17th the vacation begins.