Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Well, Sort of...) part two

November 24th, 2004 Koh Samui

Here's a little recap of the trip.

Train - absolutely sucked. The bed was not comfortable and my lack of speaking Thai keeps me from entirely sleeping as I need to be able to get off the train at Surat Thani. I think I slept four or five hours

Ferry - no problems. I guess I was a little misinformaed as to how far away the islands were from the coast. Once I heard two hours I was kind of shocked, but relieved when someone put on a movie in the VCD player. Made the time go by, and the scenery was pretty spectacular with the clear blue waters and interspersed islands as we made our way to Samui. Only complaint and its my fault completely (I put my bag in the pile as I got into the ferry). You have the option to sit inside in "air conditioning" for 30 baht or outside for free. With all my documentation in the bag, I should have thought it out a little better. Thankfully nothing happened, but never, never again will I be separated from my bag.

Minivan ride to the hotel - I love the "white knuckle" ride to the resort. Hey, I've ridden in Chicago taxis so nothing really scares me. I loved the overtaking on the blind curve, just fun.

I'm looking forward to the week. Sun, sand, and doing nothing. That's all I want.